2014 ADP/TDC Civic Summit: Realizing the Civic Mission of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
Sunday, September 28, 2014 to Monday, September 29, 2014
Atwood Memorial Center, St. Cloud State University
A summit co-sponsored by AASCU’s American Democracy Project, The Democracy Commitment, Minnesota Campus Compact, and St. Cloud State University
Ten years ago, Minnesota Campus Compact and St. Cloud State University hosted one of the first regional ADP meetings. Today, civic engagement is more widely recognized as a strategy for supporting students’ academic success and preparation for work, life, and citizenship. Yet our leaders still seek deeper integration of civic engagement into the student experience and campus culture, as well as clearer communications on the public and educational value of civic work.
Participation is open to anyone interested, including faculty, staff, students, administrators and community partners.
About the Conference
Attend this summit with colleagues from Minnesota state colleges and universities to:
- hear from national and local leaders, including George Mehaffy, Vice President for Leadership and Change at the American Association of State Colleges and Universities;
- share your own experience, knowledge, questions, and results;
- start building connections across the MnSCU system to advance civic work and learning;
- define next steps for your campus, with colleagues’ feedback; and
- increase your awareness of resources and initiatives available through state and national networks.
While we encourage participants to come as part of an institutional team, individual campus representatives are also welcome.
For logistical (e.g., hotel accommodations, registration), please contact:
Jill M. Gately
Manager, ALC Meetings and Outreach Programs
For programmatic questions, please contact:
Sunday, September 28, 2014
5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Optional networking dinner
Monday, September 29, 2014
Registration and Breakfast
9 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Opening plenary: Minnesota State Colleges and Universities as Stewards of Place
10:45 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
- Preparing students for public work
- Student organizing across campuses
- Engaging alumni as doers, not just donors
- Measuring and improving campus and community civic health
11:45 a.m . - 12:30 p.m.
12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- Creating civic pathways for students within and across institutions
- Economic development partnerships
- Civic learning and engagement in the arts and humanities
- Addressing inequality in communities and among students
1:45 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
- eCitizenship: Using New Tools and Strategies for Engagement
- Partnering with K-12 schools for better educational outcomes
- Engaging with global challenges
- Supporting faculty development and engagement
2:45 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Campus team planning and discussion
3:30 p.m. -4:30 p.m.
Team presentations and feedback
4:30 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Concluding reflections and wrap up
$65 Team Rate (per person for campus teams of two or more)
$20 for Optional Networking Dinner on Sunday evening
Registration Information top
There are two options to register:
213 6th Avenue South
St Cloud MN 56301
- Check-in 3 p.m.
- Checkout 11 a.m.
The special conference rate is $99 for a one bedroom suite plus 15.01% tax (current tax rate may change).
A two bedroom suite is $109 plus 15.01% tax (current tax rate may change). There are only five of these two-bedroom suites reserved for conference attendees. Once they are gone, no more can be added to the inventory. Each bedroom is private.
To obtain this rate, you must book your room by Thursday, August 28, 2014.
To reserve a room at the conference rate at this hotel, please call The Grand Stay at (320) 251-5400 by Thursday, August 28, 2014 and refer the Group Name “ADP/TDC Regional Meeting at SCSU.”
There is free Wi-Fi and parking available at this hotel. Also, hotel guests will be transported by bus over to the campus (less than two miles away) for Monday’s program.
Cancellation & Refund Policytop
Cancellation Fee: $50
If you must cancel your registration, you will receive a full refund if the cancellation is before 5 p.m. EST on Monday, September 23rd. There will be a $50 cancellation fee after that date. Special circumstances will be handled on an individual basis.