State Role in Access and Attainment
- Encourage states to provide eligibility for in-state tuition rates to qualified undocumented students. Qualifications may include graduation from a state high school, state residency and intent to obtain U.S. citizenship.
- Discourage state efforts to prohibit or restrict undocumented students from enrolling in public institutions.
Tuition Benefits for Active Military Personnel and Veterans
- Encourage states to support programs that facilitate veterans’ entry into and success in postsecondary education.
Affirmative Action and Diversity
- Discourage state actions that would limit the ability of public colleges and universities to engender a diverse student body and campus workforce. This would include state actions that would negatively affect institutional/system admissions, hiring and other policies designed to promote diversity.
Aligning and Strengthening the Education Pipeline
- Encourage states to involve public institutions of higher education in the implementation of new Common Core State Standards in mathematics and English language arts to ensure that high school graduates are college or career-ready.
- Support state efforts to increase the preparedness for, and transition to, postsecondary education through strong P-20 partnerships and coordination initiatives. Such initiatives may include:
- State-directed active participation of postsecondary education in the alignment of secondary and postsecondary curriculum, standards and assessments.
- Clarifying and raising expectations for entering college freshmen by articulating a rigorous statewide high school core course of study that prepares students for college and the world of work.
- Developing policies that promote access to accelerated learning options and that encourage participation of middle- and lower-achieving groups in programs such as Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and dual/concurrent enrollment.
- Supporting early outreach/commitment programs that incentivize middle and high school students to plan and prepare for college.