Learn about China and how to incorporate Chinese Studies into study abroad programs on your campus.
The Institute is hosted in China, and involves various activities including intensive seminars, lectures, meetings and cultural activities related to Chinese history, education, business and culture. Institute faculty includes scholars, business leaders, and education administrators from institutions and organizations in local Chinese communities, and relevant government officials.
UPCOMING China Studies Institute
July 7-17, 2024
Shanghai, Shandong, and Beijing
Who should participate?
- Senior international officers
- Staff/administrators in global engagement/study abroad offices
How will you benefit?
- Peer-to-peer learning with participating colleagues
- Gain first-hand experience about studying abroad in China
- Familiarization with China and Chinese higher education system, policies, and issues
- Develop strategies for incorporating Chinese studies into global learning opportunities through:
- Participation in forums, seminars and other activities designed to create and sustain educational partnerships in China
- Networking with partners or potential partners for further discussion on study abroad programs, policies, issues and concerns in China and the US
- Expand student exchange opportunities with Chinese partners
Number of years AASCU has provided this professional development opportunity for its members.
Number of Institutions that have participated in the Institute from across the U.S.
Number of faculty and administrators that have been trained by the Institute.
Connect with Chinese partner institutions and administrators in the field.
Over the course of the 10-day program, participants will explore the latest trends in student mobility among Chinese students. The agenda will provide in-depth understanding of the changing policies and regulations in China, as well as the increasing opportunities for American students interested in studying there. Additionally, the program will facilitate dialogue and collaboration between leaders from Chinese institutions and participants through various activities.
“My experience in the 2015 China Studies Institute was life changing. It was my first visit to China, and the three weeks in Shanghai, Xi’an, and Beijing were truly fantastic. I really appreciated the combination of classes and visits to places of cultural significance. For me, it was the culmination of a year (2014-15) when I basically discovered Chinese students–and China itself–and it added immeasurably to my knowledge and understanding of the huge, ancient, and fascinating country.”
“Since being a part of the China Studies Institute, I have incorporated in my courses, a discussion and comparison of academia in the United States and China. This helps my students gain insight into the value of this opportunity. I have also strongly encouraged my students to study abroad via NSU International Programs. In addition to this, I have applied to teach in China in the upcoming Fall semester. None of these things would be on my radar if I hadn’t participated in CSI.
“My trip to China with the CSI was extremely formative and has motivated me and given me the confidence to work much more closely with colleagues in China to establish student and faculty exchanges. The most recent example was our university hosting Dr. Zhi Pei and other colleagues from Zhejiang University of Technology. We are moving forward with an exchange agreement between their institution and our whole engineering college.”
Apply now for the 2024 China Studies Institute.
Additionally, a nominator must endorse the candidacy through a separate endorsement form by April 1, 2024.
- AASCU member institutions – $950 (to be paid after candidate is selected and confirms their participation).
- The Institute covers costs related to accommodations in China, in-country domestic transportation, and other organized activity expenses.
- The Institute DOES NOT cover ancillary expenses related to personal and miscellaneous expenses such as passport fees, visa fees, roundtrip airfare and travel insurance.
Applicants must be:
- A US citizen or US permanent resident.
- An administrator/staff overseeing or working in global learning, global engagement or study abroad offices at an AASCU member institution.
- Endorsed by a president, chancellor, provost, or senior international officer either directly or at the request of the applicant
This program is hosted overseas, in China, and as such there are several necessary documents that candidates should be aware that they will need to already have or will be required to acquire prior to travel.
- Application Form: To complete the application for this program, candidates are required to complete the form provided. Additionally, a nominator must endorse the candidate through a separate endorsement form by April 1, 2024.
- Endorsement Form: Suitable endorsers for this program include Chancellors, Presidents, Provosts, or Senior International Officers.
- Valid passport: This program requires a valid passport with an expiry date no less than 6 months from the date of intended travel.
- Doctor’s Letter/Health Endorsement: This letter will be required if the applicant is selected to participate.
- Chinese Visa: If you are not already in possession of a Chinese visa, once selected, guidelines will be provided on how to acquire your Chinese visa for travel. Selected participants are responsible for the costs associated with acquiring a Chinese visa.
The CSI is a national competition across AASCU institutions. Participants will be selected and recommended by a panel composed of senior international officers. Final candidates are selected by the CEAIE.
Successful applicants will demonstrate the following:
- Leadership in international education and specifically in developing or managing study abroad programs.
- Experience working with, or a demonstrated interest in working with Chinese partner institutions to develop study abroad programs in China.
- The 2024 Program will take place from July 7-17, 2024, across Shanghai, Shandong, and Beijing
- Deadline for applications and endorsements is April 1, 2024
- Candidates’ notification for CSI Award: April 15, 2024
- Candidates’ confirmation of participation: April 29, 2024
- AASCU pre-departure orientation: June 10, 2024
- Participants are expected to arrive Shanghai on July 7, 2024.
Do you have additional questions about CSI? Let us know.
"*" indicates required fields