AASCU’s equity-centered leadership development programs are timely, relevant, and solutions-driven. They are designed for leaders at all levels of the academy, from experienced and aspiring presidents to new provosts to rising stars among faculty and staff.Contact us.
AASCU equips leaders of regional public universities with the skillset and mindset to lead in today’s complex world.
Each of our programs supports individual leadership journeys, whether that’s strengthening leadership competencies, deepening expertise, or transitioning into a new role.
Learn more about our suite of programming designed to support leaders at every step of your journey.
Our personalized leadership development programming produces transformative results.
Campus administrators leave our programs energized and ready to take on the challenges that come with their critical roles. AASCU’s highly regarded leadership development programs for aspiring, new and veteran presidents and chancellors help leaders gain critical skills and strategies to navigate complex higher education landscapes. Programs are also available to strengthen your senior leadership team, emerging leaders, and to support spouses and partners.
AASCU leadership development programs are based on the following foundational principles:
- Mentorship and Coaching: Each program includes a mentoring component, rallying the talents, generosity, and expertise of AASCU members and renowned higher education leaders who share our commitment to investing in the next generation.
- Community-Building: All programs create opportunities for networking, peer-to-peer learning, and alumni engagement.
- Peer-to-Peer Learning: Each program includes opportunities to “call a friend” and engage in structured conversations where participants gain insight from their fellow participants’ knowledge and learned experience.
- Wellness: We are deeply committed to creating an environment that facilitates open, honest dialogue and opportunities for structured reflection about each participant’s work as well as the higher education landscape.
- Policy: AASCU leadership programs leverage the expertise of our Government Relations and Policy Analysis team to keep members abreast of policies affecting public higher education.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging: AASCU leadership programs integrate DEIB principles and discussion through every learning opportunity to ensure the next generation of higher education leaders views every decision through a lens of equity and inclusion.
- Student Success: All AASCU leadership programs reflect our commitment to advancing social and economic mobility for students of all backgrounds; student success is at the heart of every learning outcome.
- Individual Transformation: All programs are designed to support participants in their individual journey, whether that is leading from where they are or transitioning to the next role.
- Institutional Transformation: All programs will engage participants in their institution’s most ambitious goals, preparing them to lead transformative change on campus.
- Accountability: AASCU leadership programs provide participants with a plan of action and a system of accountability to keep moving toward their career goals.
A record number of applications were received in 2023 for our suite of Leadership Development Programs
Number of participants in our New Presidents Academy since 2021. More than half of the participants (35) are people of color; more than one third (23) are women
Since 2020 more than 600 campus leaders have participated in AASCU Leadership Development Programming
“This was an amazing experience! I am confident that I have made connections that will blossom into trusting lasting relationships. The content was outstanding and the presenters were engaging.”
“Profoundly transformational! Eye-opening, edifying! I deeply appreciate being exposed to such an outstanding group of presenters and colleagues. I am changed for the better.”
“ELP stands out among leadership programs as it brings together leaders from similar institutions that are likely to have similar challenges and rewards. We weren’t all from the academic side of the house, allowing me to gain perspective on paths I can take to achieve leadership roles. The investment the staff have in ELP were palpable and made me feel valued. ELP wasn’t just ‘for show’: real connections were made.”
“NPA is an absolute must for all new college and university presidents. The depth of knowledge of the faculty and laser focus on mission critical best practices for success are extremely valuable. The intentionality and rich diversity of the NPA faculty and cohort members also speaks volumes about AASCU’s preeminent role in shaping the future of higher education.”
Latest News & Resources
September 14, 2023Read more.
Get to know the AASCU members who are committed to your success.
The Committee on Professional Development serves as an advisory group to create meaningful communities of experience for member presidents and support AASCU leadership development programs focused on building leadership capacity and diversity.
Discover opportunities for state college and university leaders.
Sign up to be notified about our upcoming program opportunities.
"*" indicates required fields