Leadership through a different lens.
The role and expectations of a presidential spouse or partner may vary by region, institution, and personal preference. But some factors are common, such as your desire to support your spouse or partner. The Spouse/Program is designed to inform and foster an understanding of what you’ll need to thrive in the university environment, the surrounding community, and in your personal life.
Who should participate?
- Presidential spouses/partners
How will you benefit?
- Networking opportunities
- Professional development
- A community of support from fellow spouses/partners
“AASCU’s Spouse & Partner Program provides support, training, and the rare chance to reflect upon the exciting challenges and opportunities that come with my role as a presidential spouse with a group of people walking a similar path. When I first joined the group two years ago, I did so because of the training and learning it provided. What I had not anticipated but have come to value as much as the professional development is the chance to relax with other partners and spouses, building friendships and a network of people to whom I can reach out to seek advice and understanding around issues both large and small that arise. The commitment of the other spouses and partners to their students and institutions truly inspires me, and this group’s fellowship has made my journey more successful and fun.”
“AASCU’s Spouse / Partner Program is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for Presidential Spouses to network and strategize about unique issues in a safe space. I became involved in the program five years ago, and during that time, I’ve called on my colleagues’ numerous times for council. We meet regularly with subject matter experts to learn about best practices and new ideas that can help our spouse partners reduce stress and hopefully become more successful in helping our students get to the finish line.”
A community of support.
The AASCU Spouse/Partner Program provides networking opportunities, professional development, and guidance, all tailored to the unique needs of presidential spouses and partners.
Program offerings include conferences, symposiums, webinars, and brown bag sessions. They are delivered in a confidential, supportive, and comfortable setting that enables presidential spouses and partners to discuss shared journeys, challenges and wins.
The AASCU Annual Conference includes programming designed specifically for spouses/partners. Presidential spouses/partners network with colleagues and learn how they are balancing the many and varied responsibilities of their roles.
Sessions may focus on:
- The Spouse/Partner Role in Fund and Friend-raising
- Ideas for Campus and Community Engagement
- Managing Expectations
- The Varying Roles of Spouses/Partners
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Topical Roundtables
- Navigating Legislative Matters
- Crisis Management
- Brand Management and Communication Tools
- Time Management/Creating and Maintaining Relationships
- Recognizing and Handling Challenges
The strength of this program comes from the diversity of its membership, whose knowledge, expertise, and commitment serve as great resources. A critical resource we offer is the Spouse/Partner Member Directory (login required.)Member Directory
- Dr. Alison Nooks, spouse of former president Kirk Nooks, Gordon State College (GA)
- Mike Matson, spouse of president Cynthia Teniente-Matson, San Jose State University
- Rick Gonzalez, spouse of president Timothy Mottet, Colorado State University Pueblo
- Elizabeth Ross, spouse of former president George Ross, Central Michigan University
- Cyndie Shepard, spouse of former chancellor Bruce Shepard, Western Washington University
- Judy Ingle, spouse of former president Ronald Ingle (deceased) Coastal Carolina University (SC)
- Jo Hern Curris, spouse of former president Constantine W. (Deno) Curris, Murray State University (KY), University of Northern Iowa, Clemson University (SC), and American Association of State Colleges and University (AASCU)
- Bobbie Ostar, spouse of president emeritus, American Association of State Colleges and University (AASCU)
PLANNING AND OUTREACH CO-COORDINATORS
University of the Virgin Islands
University of West Georgia
San José State University (CA)
State University of New York at Geneseo
Spouse of Former President
Gordon State College (GA)
Southern University and A&M College (LA)
Spouse of Former President
California State University Fullerton
Upcoming events for Spouses and partners
Questions about the Spouse/Partner program? Let us know.
"*" indicates required fields