New Presidents Academy
Join state university peers to prepare for the specific challenges first-time presidents and chancellors are likely to face.Get notifications.
The leadership program for new state college and university presidents and chancellors.
NPA is tailored to the distinctive needs of new presidents and chancellors who lead state colleges and universities.
Who Should Participate
- The 2023 academy is open to first-time AASCU member and non-member presidents and chancellors appointed after July 2022. Exceptions may be made for presidents who began prior to July 2022 if space permits.
How You’ll Benefit
- Comprehensive preparation in the areas of most critical concern to presidents
- Build a strong and supportive network of new and seasoned presidents
- Acquire core knowledge and learn strategies that will help you succeed as a new president or chancellor
- Strengthen your leadership skills
- Assess and reflect on your leadership strengths and define areas for growth
- Engage in a mentoring partnership with an experienced president.
- Connect with a diverse faculty of experienced presidents, chancellors, and experts in advancement, communications, governance, and financial management
What to Expect
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion discussions will be integrated throughout the program
- Dialogues about AASCU institutions’ commitment to access and student success outcomes will be included throughout
- We are committed to creating a supportive, engaging, and customized learning environment built on trust, confidentiality, and safety among the cohort
- Program content is reevaluated each year to ensure we are meeting the needs of current presidents and chancellors and covering topics critical to the current context of higher education leadership
- Support new presidents with a practical orientation to the presidency.
- Create a community of support for new presidents to include peers and experienced (current and retired) presidents. The NPA network is an invaluable resource for presidents throughout their careers
- Explore the president’s multiple roles
- Assess current state of university including the effectiveness of the senior team
- Role of the president
- Crisis management
- Equity-minded, student-centered leadership
- Strategic planning
- Advocacy, government relations and advancement
- Building and engaging your leadership team
- Financial management
The 2023 NPA will take place from July to December 2023.
The program will feature:
- Four-day, in-person gathering (July 25-29, 2023 at the Omni La Costa in Carlsbad, California)
- Monthly two-hour, interactive cohort gatherings held over four months (August, September, October, November)
- Half-day in-person gathering (November 5, 2023 at the Fairmont Chicago, Illinois)
- Optional small group reflection and discussion sessions regarding each participant’s leadership challenge
- Asynchronous learning modules (pre-reads)
- Formal mentoring with NPA faculty and current and retired AASCU presidents and chancellors
- Access to AASCU (phone a friend) resource list of AASCU presidents and chancellors
The in-person gathering for the 2024 NPA will be July 24-27, 2024, at the Omni La Costa in Carlsbad, CA.
- The 2023 academy is open to first-time AASCU member and non-member presidents and chancellors appointed after July 2022.
- Exceptions may be made for presidents who began prior to July 2022 if space permits.
- All eligible members will be admitted as space allows.
- Nonmembers who are eligible will be allowed to register if space is available.
No formal application is required.
2023 Registration opens in April.
2023 Registration Fees
- Presidents/Chancellors from AASCU member institutions: $4,500
- Presidents/Chancellors from non-member institutions: $5,500
- The registration fee covers the virtual program, materials, and meals for 4.5days, in-person gathering.
- Limited scholarships are available to accepted applicants from AASCU member institutions.
- Cancellation requests received on or after June 1, 2023 are NOT eligible for a refund.
- If you need to cancel after May 1, please email email@example.com to explore if you are eligible for a deferral to a different iteration of NPA or receive a credit toward a different program.
Meet the 2023 NPA faculty.
NPA has convened an impressive faculty of current and former presidents, chancellors, cabinet-level administrators, and national subject matter experts.
NPA is an absolute must for all new college and university presidents. The depth of knowledge of the faculty and laser focus on mission critical best practices for success are extremely valuable. The intentionality and rich diversity of the NPA faculty and cohort members also speaks volumes about AASCU’s preeminent role in shaping the future of higher education.
Absolutely amazing. The right experience at the right time. I can see tangible ways that this is going to help me accelerate my transition, listen more deeply, and advance the work among a network of equity-minded colleagues.
The New Presidents Academy is a space and an experience that cannot be replicated at any other organization. You have individuals at a unique time of their lives, from unique institutions, all with a similar goal assembled by a unique organization. Cannot imagine not having been part of the NPA.
I am overwhelmed and full from my NPA experience!! The ability to share and be with my NPA classmates is priceless and so so meaningful. Our in person experience was well planned and safe. Every session helped me reflect and think about my presidency from a different perspective.
Meet the 2022 Cohort
West Virginia State University
Radford University (VA)
East Central University (OK)
University of Illinois Springfield
Northwestern Oklahoma State University
Mercy College of Health Sciences (IA)
Sul Ross State University (TX)
Bemidji State University (MN)
University of Washington Tacoma
Sonoma State University (CA)
Salisbury University (MD)
Indiana University East
“State University of New York, Alfred State College of Technology”
Eastern Washington University
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Framingham State University (MA)
Purchase College, State University of New York
San José State University (CA)
California State University Monterey Bay
Widener University (PA)
Indiana University Southeast
East Georgia State College
Arkansas State University Jonesboro
University of North Carolina Wilmington
“State University of New York, Empire State College”
State University of New York at New Paltz
Alabama A&M University
California State University Channel Islands
The 2023 academy is open to first-time AASCU member and non-member presidents and chancellors appointed after July 2022. Exceptions may be made for presidents who began prior to July 2022 if space permits. All eligible members will be admitted as space allows. Nonmembers who are eligible will be allowed to register if space is available.
- No application required
- Registration for 2023 NPA will open in Spring 2023.
Sign up to be notified about 2024 registration.
"*" indicates required fields
Have questions about the New Presidents Academy?
"*" indicates required fields