Vice President of Government Relations and Policy Analysis
Luis Maldonado was appointed vice president for government relations and policy analysis at AASCU effective July 8, 2019. He aids the president of AASCU in this position by directing and coordinating activities that advance the mission of the association, serving as the direct liaison with government officials, federal agencies, and other educational organizations to develop policies and positions that support regional comprehensive state colleges and universities. Maldonado has more than 25 years of combined experience in government relations and advocacy efforts with various organizations in the Washington, D.C., region. He has worked in advocacy for three nonprofit organizations, most recently with the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities, in two former positions from 2002–2005 that included serving in a legislative affairs capacity and as chief advocacy officer from 2014–2019, and in senior advocacy positions with the Council on Foundations and the American Diabetes Association.
John Patrick Walsh
Director, Federal Relations & Policy Analysis
John Patrick Walsh, AASCU’s director of federal relations and policy analysis, has a wide range of experiences in government relations and federal policy development and advocacy. His professional background includes serving as the chief of staff of the Office of Congressional and Intergovernmental Affairs at the U.S. Department of Labor, as director of federal affairs in the Washington, D.C., office of former Florida Governor Rick Scott, and as transition team leader for the office of former Governor Rick Scott.
Council of State Representatives
The work of AASCU's Division of Government Relations and Policy Analysis is greatly informed by the association's Council of State Representatives, which includes representation from selected member states. The Council is comprised of college and university presidents and chancellors, system heads, and state coordinating board executives. The Council advises staff on higher education public policy issues, helps formulate the Association's annual Public Policy Agenda, and assists the staff in carrying out the agenda's legislative priorities through contacts with stakeholders and members, including the Federal government and members of Congress.
For information on the Council and its mid-year meeting, contact Luis Maldonado, vice president for government relations and policy analysis, at 202-478-4651 or email him at
2021-2022 Council of State Representatives
- Chair, Heidi Anderson, University of Maryland Eastern
- Houston Davis, University of Central Arkansas (Ark.)
- Framroze Virjee, California State University, Fullerton (Calif.)
- Cheryl Lovell, Adams State University (Colo.)
- Larry Robinson, Florida A&M University (Fla.)
- Mark Nook, University of Northern Iowa (Iowa)
- Tisa Mason, Fort Hays State University (Kan.)
- Franklin Gilliam Jr., University of North Carolina at Greensboro (N.C.)
- Sue Henderson, New Jersey City University (N.J.)
- Bart Patterson, Nevada State College (Nev.)
- Berenecea Johnson Eanes, York College, The City University of New York (N.Y.)
- Robert Mong, University of North Texas at Dallas (Texas)
- Brad Mortensen, Weber State University (Utah)
- Sabah Randhawa, Western Washington University (Wash.)
- Dennis J. Shields, University of Wisconsin-Platteville (Wis.)