China-U.S. Rising Star Student Study Tour
The China-U.S. Rising Star Student Study Tour is a study abroad opportunity for students interested in Chinese language and culture, strengthening their global competencies, and improving their professional capacity, by exploring options for potential international academic and career pathways.Learn more.
Study abroad in a safe, collaborative and immersive environment.
The China-U.S. Rising Star Student Study Tour program is created for students who are particularly interested in a guided, short-term study abroad option. The program is specifically designed to support students in their aim to strengthen cross-cultural communication skills, improve various aspects of their professional capacity, while exploring and expanding options for potential academic and career pathways in China. The program activities are designed to facilitate an immersive cultural experience, foster experiential learning, and encourage dialogue and cooperative learning between Chinese and American students.
Who Should Apply?
- U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, enrolled in a program of study at an AASCU institution
- Students who have completed at least one semester of post-secondary education.
- Students pursuing any major, with the ability to demonstrate a strong interest in Chinese language and culture.
- Students in good academic standing.
- Students willing to promote their education exchange experience between China and the U.S.
How will you benefit?
- Immersive Cultural Experiences– To help students understand the social and economic conditions of modern China, the study tour includes activities such as lectures, workshops, collaborative learning activities, and visits to prime industry and cultural locations to provide them with a multi-dimensional experience in China.
- Experiential Learning – Project based learning and training in different labs are also important components of the study tour. Students from the US and China with similar academic backgrounds, develop and improve their professional knowledge and skills together through lessons taught by participating faculty members, industry visits and cooperative learning.
- Student Dialogue – Aiming to build long-term friendships and enhance mutual understanding between the participants, workshops, seminars and team-building activities are included in the study tour to facilitate interaction and communication among students.
Network and engage with Chinese higher education leaders, faculty and peers over two weeks across different cities in China.
The study tour is a flagship student exchange program under the framework of the China-U.S. High-level Consultation on People-to-People Exchange (CPE) in the sector of vocational education. AASCU’s International Education Office, as co-sponsor of this initiative, along with the China Education Association for International Exchange (CEAIE) selects students from its member universities to experience two weeks of intensive training in a thematic area, and study across several Chinese cities and host Chinese vocational institutions. Past programs have engaged students in the specific areas of robotics, business and entrepreneurship, aviation, architecture, and e-commerce.
Number of years AASCU has offered this opportunity to students at its member institutions.
Number of students participating in a study abroad experience for the first time,
AASCU institutions engaged.
- Program Duration: 2 weeks
- Program Dates: Program is usually scheduled during the first two weeks of January
- Location: Locations in China varies with each program cycle. Participants can however expect to visit major cultural sites, several relevant industry sites, and program host institutions.
- Participants: Selected participants are responsible for their international travel costs, including round-trip airfare, visa application fee and travel insurance.
- Program: Meals, accommodations and domestic transportation in China will be covered by the program.
- Application deadline is usually at the beginning of November.
- AASCU makes final selections and notify final candidates by mid-November
- Final candidates upon being notified will send a letter of their acceptance to AASCU by the end of November.
- AASCU will provide relevant reading materials and travel information in early December
- Rising Stars must submit all required documentation, including doctor’s recommendation, proof of travel insurance and Chinese visa by mid-December.
- Student participants depart for China in early January.
“Rising Star gave me an intimate view of the breadth and depth of Chinese history and modern China. I will tell my network back home to apply for the China-US Rising Star study tour, and programs like it, and to support any students that do. Before this program, I had a surface intellectual understanding of the significance of China. Now, I am friends with Chinese students, and feel a kind of friendship with China itself.”
“The Rising Star Program has assisted in propelling my interest of the Chinese culture even further. Spending two weeks learning and experiencing complete cultural immersion in China has been a great way to manifest my desire to continue learning about this beautiful country. I initially applied to the Rising Stars program with the hope and ambition to learn more about the culture of the most influential country in East Asia. I can happily say this program exceeded my expectations of these aspirations.”
Interested in participating in the China-US Rising Star Student Study Tour? Let us know.
"*" indicates required fields