AASCU 2024 Summer Meeting for Academic and Student Affairs Leaders
Building Bridges: Educating, Leading, Understanding
Offering opportunities for colleagues from across regional comprehensive institutions to meet, share, and learn from each other’s challenges and successes.
Save the date to join us in Denver.
- AASCU will accept session proposals from campus presenters from February 14 – March 15.
- Registration for this meeting will open in early April 2024.
- Thought partners interested in supporting this convening, please complete the form at the end of this page.
“Education is all a matter of building bridges.”
The dominant narrative in today’s media is that we are a people, a nation, a world deeply divided on every front. These divisions are playing out on our campuses, in classrooms, residence halls, campus quads, and university senates. Against this powerful narrative, campus leaders, faculty, and staff at regional public universities are finding ways to bridge the divides.
Who should attend?
- Provosts/Chief Academic Affairs Officers
- Assistant and Associate Provosts
- Student Affairs Leaders
- Assistant and Associate Vice Presidents
- Deans and Directors
- Assistant and Associate Deans
- Department chairs
- Program coordinators
Benefits of participation:
- Attendees gain knowledge and tools and have opportunities to build skills that are immediately applicable to their jobs.
- Attendees have valuable opportunities to reflect individually, collectively within their campus teams, and across institutions on their work and common successes and challenges.
- Participants will hear from, and engage in conversations, with experts and peers pushing the boundaries of what is possible across higher education.
- Sessions are focused on and calibrated to the successes and challenges of regional comprehensive institutions.
- Sessions are anchored in AASCU’s commitment to advancing equitable student success and the key considerations (e.g. practices, mindsets, policies, and structures) of what it takes to be a truly student-centered enterprise.
We offer a rare opportunity for colleagues from across regional comprehensive institutions to meet, share, and learn from each other’s challenges and successes.
AASCU’s Summer Meeting for Academic and Student Affairs Leaders are a place of welcoming, acceptance, and belonging. Content presented celebrates and strives to advance the work accomplished at regional comprehensive institutions. Speakers, participants, and staff alike are committed to learning from and growing together.
The role of the university, especially in a contentious time, is all a matter of building bridges, to echo the great American writer Ralph Ellison. AASCU’s Summer Meeting for Academic Affairs and Student Affairs Leaders will focus on the many ways, in multiple contexts, that regional public universities are modeling bridge building:
- Between academic affairs and student affairs through collaborations to help students succeed
- Among academic disciplines through transdisciplinary teaching and learning
- Between campus and community through experiential learning and applied research
- Between the academy and industry through cooperative partnerships
- Among students with differing political views through deliberative dialogues
- Among cultures and faiths through interfaith dialogue
- Among racial differences through intentional racial healing and transformation
- Among nations through international agreements and exchanges
- Among institutions through innovative alliances, collaborations, and mergers
This convening will focus on the many positive, impactful efforts to build bridges across differences. We tend to focus on the negative, the divides, ideological, political, social, cultural, geographical, socioeconomic, racial.
We will highlight the bridge builders on our campuses and in our communities.
Schedule at a Glance
|Student Success Equity Intensive Lunch & Meeting
|2023-2024 Becoming a Provost Academy Programming
|Reception for Learning Communities
|7:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
|2023-2024 Becoming a Provost Academy Programming
|Academy for New Provosts Meeting
|11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
|11:45 a.m.–1 p.m.
|Lunch and Rountables
|Breakfast and Roundtables
|11:15 a.m.–12:45 p.m.
|2024-2025 Becoming a Provost Academy
2023 summer meeting highlights:
Rating for relevance of topics and issues covered.
Rating for the quality of speakers.
Percent of attendees that felt more connected to their colleagues after attending.
“Everything about the conference was inclusive, affirmative, and substantive as well as convivial. I enjoyed it and found it terrifically useful.”
“We are in challenging times, but we have talented and dedicated colleagues all over the country. AASCU’s mission is more important than ever!”
Our 2024 Summer Meeting will take place at the Hilton Denver City Center.
Please check back in early April for meeting hotel details and information on how to book your room at the preferred AASCU rate.
AASCU is committed to the health, safety and well-being of all attendees at our gatherings. We follow all local rules and CDC guidance and closely monitor conditions related to COVID-19 and other public health emergencies. Attendees at all AASCU events agree to adhere to the following health and safety protocols.
Before leaving home
- AASCU strongly encourages all participants to be fully vaccinated. The CDC Vaccines website provides definitions of “Fully Vaccinated” and “Up To Date”.
- Stay home if you feel unwell or have any COVID-19 symptoms or test positive for COVID-19. We recommend attendees wear masks while traveling to and from the event and follow COVID-19 safety practices in the days leading up to the event.
- We strongly encourage attendees to take a rapid antigen COVID-19 test before traveling and before arriving to AASCU convenings.
Onsite during the event
- Masks are recommended and will be available at the registration desk.
- If you are experiencing cold or COVID-19 symptoms please be respectful and wear a mask.
- Self-administered COVID-19 rapid antigen tests will be available at the registration desk. We encourage participants test themselves upon arrival before joining the conference.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use an alcohol-based sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing. Throw used tissues in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipes.
- If you feel unwell, develop symptoms of COVID-19, or test positive for COVID-19 at any time during the convening, seek medical care and do not attend the meals or gatherings.
- If you test positive during the conference, please notify AASCU staff by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
AASCU reserves the right to modify these policies and procedures at any time given the rapidly changing nature of any current and ongoing public health emergencies.
All meetings and conferences sponsored by AASCU are inclusive and accessible to all individuals, including individuals with disabilities. Please request accessibility services when you register and contact us if you need auxiliary aids or services.
By participating in an AASCU conference, you are automatically authorizing AASCU to use your name, photograph, voice, or another likeness for purposes related to the mission of AASCU, including but not limited to publicity, marketing, websites, social media vehicles, and any other AASCU-related electronic forms or media for the promotion of AASCU and its various programs.
2024 Summer Meeting Partners
Complete the form below if you are interested in being a partner in our event.
Questions about the 2024 Summer Meeting? Let us know.
"*" indicates required fields