2013 AASCU China Meeting
Tuesday, October 29, 2013 to Friday, November 8, 2013AASCU is pleased to announce our 12th Sino-American conference in Beijing, November 1-3, 2013
Beijing & Shanghai, China
Each year for the past eleven years, we have taken AASCU senior leaders (presidents, provosts, international officers, deans, department heads, and faculty) to China to participate in a series of activities designed to create and sustain educational partnerships in China.
About the Conference
This year the AASCU-sponsored 12th annual trip to China will offer participants two options:
- Option #1 - Beijing, China (October 29-November 3, 2013)
- Option #2 - Beijing & Shanghai, China (October 29-November 8, 2013)
co-hosted by the China Education Association for International Exchange (CEAIE) for its annual EXPO and FORUM.
This trip represents an extraordinary opportunity to be introduced to or deepen your understanding of China, a growing world power. If you are interested in initiating or further developing educational partnerships in China, we urge you to consider joining us in Beijing.
Option #1 - Beijing EXPO and FORUM
The program includes participation in a major global conference put on by our Chinese partner association, the China Education Association for International Exchange (CEAIE). You will have opportunities to interact with world educational leaders in discussion on topics of mutual interest. You can also participate in an EXPO that attracts more than 35,000 Chinese students who are interested in study abroad. During our time in Beijing, we schedule time for a series of discussion with our Chinese higher education association partners, to understand Chinese higher education at a macro level. We also provide a variety of cultural and tourist events to better understand Chinese history and culture. Participants often schedule trips before or after the conference to visit potential or already established partner universities in other parts of China.
This trip represents an extraordinary opportunity to be introduced to or deepen your understanding of partnerships in China, we urge you to consider joining us in Beijing.
Option #2 - Beijing and Shanghai
AASCU, in partnership with the China Education Association for International Exchange (CEAIE) and The International Education Exchange Center, Shanghai (IEEC), will open the Sino-American Higher Education Leadership and Innovation Center. This new facility is designed to promote international education and exchange; professional development for senior administrators/faculty; and student recruitment to AASCU member campuses. This fee-based opportunity for AASCU colleges and universities will provide a comprehensive office environment for the development of international education and exchange resources and a full service platform to promote AASCU member institutions in China.
Please join AASCU in Shanghai for the Grand Opening ceremony of the Sino-American Higher Education Leadership and Innovation Center. In addition to this ceremony, there will be university campus visits and cultural activities in the Shanghai area.
OPTION #1 - Beijing (Oct. 29 - Nov. 3)
Tuesday, Oct. 29
Wednesday, Oct. 30
Thursday, Oct. 31
- Morning: AASCU Briefing (mandatory for all participants)
- Afternoon: Great Wall visit
Friday, Nov. 1
- Morning: Meeting with U. S. Embassy representatives
- Afternoon: EXPO preparation
- Or Cultural activities: Hutong Tour, Forbidden City
Saturday, Nov. 2
- 2013 International Education Forum and Expo
- Opening Ceremony and Banquet - 2013 International Education Forum and EXPO
Sunday, Nov. 3
- 2013 International Education Forum and Expo
- Sino-US Student Mobility—Innovative Methods on AASCU Campuses
- 2013 Student EXPO ends 4pm
Monday, Nov. 4
** Follow the Beijing-Shanghai schedule (Option #2)
- Depart to the United States or further travel
- Or continue with the AASCU Delegation to Shanghai
OPTION #2 - Beijing-Shanghai (Oct. 29 - Nov. 8)
Tuesday, Oct. 29 - Sunday, Nov. 3
- Schedule in Beijing as described above
Monday, Nov. 4
Tuesday, Nov. 5
- Seminar at AASCU Shanghai Center
- Shanghai Center Tour
- Evening Reception for Grand Opening
Wednesday, Nov. 6
- Campus visit to Tongji University
- Cultural activities or Shanghai Consulate visit
Thursday, Nov. 7
- City tour and/or depart to US
Friday, Nov. 8
- AASCU program officially ends - Return to the USA or travel on own to other locations)
Prior to leaving for China, each AASCU participant will receive pre-departure orientation materials, including a bibliography on interesting articles, safety, health and cultural information on China.
Travel Documentation Requirements
A valid passport is required.
If you need a passport, please apply immediately at your local U.S. Post Office. For additional information visit Passport Office website at: www.passportexpress.com
Visas are required for entry into China.
PLEASE NOTE: You must have a valid passport which must have at least six (6) months of remaining validity with at least one blank visa page in it. New regulations require all travelers to China must have personal interviews to obtain visas. However, because this exchange is an institutional cooperation between AASCU and CEAIE, personal interviews will not be required if all visas are processed as a group. AASCU will work with the Chinese Embassy in Washington, D.C., to coordinate the visa processing for our group.
***Please follow the instructions listed below very carefully:
DO NOT SEND YOUR VISA APPLICATION TO THE CHINESE EMBASSY OR CONSULATE.
INSTEAD, SEND ALL MATERIALS LISTED BELOW TO ARLENE JACKSON AT AASCU.
See instructions below:
BE SURE TO KEEP A COPY OF THE FEDEX or DHL TRACKING NUMBER SO YOU CAN LOCATE YOUR SHIPMENT IN CASE OF A PROBLEM.
- Obtaining a Chinese Visa
You will need a Business F visa. For details about this particular visa, visit the China Embassy's website at www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/
Download PDF version of the Visa Application Form
- You will need a passport photo for the Visa Application. Also note that you must have at least 6 months of remaining validity and one blank visa page in order for the Consulate to process your visa request.
- Prepare a check or money order for $170, payable to AASCU. AASCU will collect all funds, and then write one check to the Chinese Embassy to pay for all visas.
- Make sure you enclose your passport (original, not a copy). The visa will be attached to a page in your passport.
- Include a return Pre-Paid FEDEX, UPS, USPS label (with your billing account number) for mailing your documents directly to you once the visa has been processed and placed in your passport.
- FEDEX or DHL all four (4) items:
1. Visa Application Form with ONE passport photo
2. Check or money order payable to AASCU for $170.00
3. Your passport (original, not a copy)
4. A FEDEX or DHL return label with your billing account number
Director of International Education
American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU)
1307 New York Avenue, 5th Floor
Washington, D. C. 20005-4701
All documents should be sent to Arlene to ARRIVE NO LATER THAN September 15, 2013. If all materials are received by September 15, there will be ample time to process and return before scheduled travel dates.
If you are unable to download the application or have other questions about the process, please contact Arlene Jackson at (202) 478-7834, or Sufei Li at email@example.com
We recommend that you contact your medical center or personal physician for detailed medical and inoculation information as early as possible. For more specific information on health/maculation requirements for China, please refer to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website: www.who.int/ith/ or www.cdc.gov
All travelers must have insurance coverage. AASCU recommends SOS Global Traveler insurance. This program offers 24 hour worldwide medical information/assistance with additional options available to cover trip cancellation and unexpected medical/dental expenses. SOS has local staff in China.
Domestic Travel in China
If you plan to travel independently to other cities in China, please note that there will be sufficient time to purchase your domestic airline tickets after we arrive in Beijing. Domestic tickets for travel in China should be purchased in China because the cost is less expensive than buying a ticket in the USA. Our colleagues at CEAIE will assist all travelers who need to purchase their individual domestic airline tickets after our arrival in Beijing.
If you have questions, please contact Arlene Jackson at (202) 478-7834 or fax at (202) 296-5819.
There are three airlines that provide the most direct travel to Beijing. The airlines are:
- UNITED/ CONTINENTAL Airlines
Reservation number 800-241-6522
(Non-stop service between Chicago and Shanghai on to Beijing)
(Non-stop service between Washington, DC/Dulles and Beijing)
- NORTHWEST/DELTA Airlines
Reservation number 800-225-2525
(Service to China via Tokyo/Narita Airport)
- All travelers who complete the Airline Confirmation Form will be met at the Beijing Airport by AASCU/CEAIE staff and transportation will be provided to the reserved hotel.
Please make your airline reservations early to make certain that seats are available on the dates you wish to travel to China and return to the USA.
OPTION # 1 - Beijing Only
- The conference fee for the Beijing trip is $795 per person (includes the Beijing EXPO and FORUM).
- That conference fee will cover registration for the Beijing conference and will include ground transportation (to and from the Beijing airport); local transportation in Beijing, meeting room rentals, conference registration; banquet Saturday night; rental of a shared AASCU booth for student recruitment; city and Great Wall sightseeing, plus guides and entry tickets.
- The conference fee will NOT include:
Visas for entry into China; travel insurance; Beijing hotel charges; roundtrip U.S-Beijing airline tickets; other domestic travel while in China, and any personal expenses, individual sightseeing, and other personal activity while in China.
OPTION # 2 - Beijing/Shanghai Combined Trip
- The conference fee for the Beijing/Shanghai Combined Trip is $975 per person
- That conference fee will cover and include ground transportation (to and from the Shanghai airport); local transportation in Shanghai, banquet Tuesday night, a visit to a university, cultural activities. In Beijing, it will cover registration for the Beijing conference, ground transportation (to and from the Beijing airport); local transportation in Beijing, meeting room rentals, conference registration; banquet Saturday night; rental of a shared AASCU booth for student recruitment; city and Great Wall sightseeing, plus guides and entry tickets.
- The conference fee will NOT include:
Visas for entry into China; travel insurance; Shanghai and Beijing hotel charges; roundtrip U.S-China airline tickets; other domestic travel while in China, and any personal expenses, individual sightseeing, and other personal activity while in China.
** We will book flight tickets from Beijing to Shanghai as a group. We will bill you for the air ticket once we have the actual cost.
Registration Information top
Please select the most appropriate option below for you to register:
- I want to register online and believe that my personal information is already in the AASCU database.
(I have attended a meeting or had some other relationship with AASCU in the past).
- I want to print out and fax my registration form.
Download Form (pdf)
- Contact Felicia Durham at (202) 478-4673 or email her to register for this meeting.
China National Convention Center Grand Hotel (CNCC) Grand Hotel
Building 1, No. 8 Precincts
Beichen West Road, Chaoyang District
Beijing 100105, P R China
Tel: +86 10 8437 2008
Fax: +86 10 8437 0387
Crown Plaza Shanghai Fudan
Address: 199 Handan Road
- Deluxe Room
- All the room rates inclusive of breakfast
- 15% surcharge and free internet access in the room
AASCU will book hotel and reserve transportation as a group, estimated per person $200 airline and $150-$200 each night for hotel.
AASCU has a block of rooms reserved. AASCU will make ALL hotel reservations in Beijing and Shanghai. Please make sure that you send your Hotel Confirmation sheet ONLY to AASCU, if you want to stay at the designated hotel with the group. Please do not make reservations directly with the hotel.
Download Hotel Confirmation Form (pdf)
All travelers will be met at the Beijing Airport by AASCU/CEAIE staff and transportation will be provided to the designated group hotel ONLY. Please note, you will only be met; if an Airline Confirmation sheet is sent to AASCU with hotel sheet.
Download Airline Confirmation Form (pdf)
Visa Information for China
AASCU will facilitate the issuance of Chinese visas for all travelers for this trip.
Please note these requirements:
Your valid passport must have at least six (6) months of remaining validity with at least one blank visa page in it.
- Application form:
One completed Visa Application Form (Q1)
Visit the China Embassy's website for more information on the visa application form.
One passport photo (black & white or color is acceptable) glued or stapled on the application form.
Non-US passport bearers shall provide documents that entitle them to reside or work for an extended period of time in the US.
- Visa is $170 (check made out to AASCU)
In late summer, we will send a note to all participants, asking them to FedEx their passport, the visa application, a passport photo, and a check made out to AASCU for $170, along with a return, prepaid FedEx envelope. We will take the passports and visa applications to the Chinese Embassy for group processing, and then FedEx the passport with visa attached back to each traveler.
A special note for campuses interested in student recruitment: For the AASCU delegation, the primary purpose of the weekend in Beijing is familiarization with China and Chinese higher education issues. However, we will be hosting our joint Sino-American conference in the same facility where 35,000 students will come that weekend to participate in an international student recruitment fair, seeking information about academic programs in other countries. More than 600 booths will be set up representing institutions from countries around the world.
AASCU will have a booth shared by all of the AASCU institutions that are participating in our weekend conference. We will be able to distribute materials and have an opportunity on Sunday to meet with Chinese students interested in coming to study in the United States. However, our main purpose will not be student recruitment. Our booth is primarily used to raise awareness of Chinese students about AASCU institutions.
International Recruitment Fair
- If you wish to send someone to participate in the International Recruitment Fair, you should plan to rent a booth or a portion of a booth, separate from the booth that AASCU has already reserved.
To reduce costs, we have made separate arrangements so that up to 3 AASCU institutions can share the cost of a booth (approximately 9ft by 9ft). The rental is USD $3,900/booth, or the cost can be pro-rated by the number of AASCU institutions sharing the booth (not to exceed 3).
- If you reserve a separate booth, you should plan to have someone who speaks Chinese staff the booth for the entire weekend. It would also be helpful to have at least some of your materials in Chinese.
- If you would like to rent a separate booth, you can register online at www.chinaeducationexpo.com/english/exhibitor/application.html or contact Harden at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Lily ZOU (Lily@fairlink.com.cn)
Mr. Harden DANG (HD@fairlink.com.cn)
Phone: +86-(0)10-8580 0790 / 91
Fax: +86-(0)10-8580 0786
- Opportunity to Promote your University
In addition to using the complimentary AASCU booth, at the EXPO, to promote your university, to approximately 35,000 Chinese students and their parents, we have worked out with our partner organization CEAIE/CCIEE one more opportunity to promote your university. CEAIE/CCIEE will host 20 minute mini sessions at the Expo on Saturday (Nov. 2) and Sunday (Nov. 3) for our AASCU university representatives to give a talk about your university. Here are the details:
Time: Nov. 2 or Nov. 3
Place: Education Expo
Audience: Chinese students and parents (30 seats each session)
Length: 20 min
Language: English or Chinese
Topic: Anything related to your university or US higher education
Media: ppt (optional), handouts, brochures, etc.
If you are interested in participating in this opportunity to promote your university, please register and notify Sufei (email@example.com). Since CCIEE/CEAIE only allows 15 slots for reserved for AASCU institutions, we will adopt “First come, first serve” policy. Please provide the following:
1. Name of the university
2. Speaker's name and title
3. Possible topic
4. Identify if you need ppt
5. The day you want to talk (Saturday or Sunday).
6. Bring your own handouts and brochures or mail them to the hotel.**
**(We will send shipping info in a separate e-mail)
We will try our best to fit your schedule into CCIEE's plan. If you have any questions regarding this mini session for university promotion, please contact Sufei Li at firstname.lastname@example.org
On Site Printing Service
- For the convenience of exhibitors, the EXPO highly recommends our AASCU participants choose printing material services provided by the Organizer. The cost is: USD $110.00 for 2500 copies for one sided/ black and white leaflet (A4 size).
- This cost includes printing and on-time booth delivery. AASCU will invoice all institutions that elect to choose the on-site printing option and send their prototype. Please indicate the quantity of copies you want printed (2500, 5000 copies, etc.).
- Instructions for the Prototype/flyer: PLEASE NOTE that each document should set 3mm margins on each side and be submitted in PDF or Illustrator or TIFF format. The picture resolution should be no lower than 300dpi.
AASCU Exibitors can either:
- Email the sample document (PDF or Illustrator or TIFF format) directly to AASCU, Felicia Durham, at email@example.com.
The deadline for her to receive your document is: SEPTEMBER 1, 2013. We will then forward the flyer directly to the Exhibition organizer. We will also invoice your university.
- Or, if you prefer, send the flyer directly to the Exhibitor.
The deadline date is SEPTEMBER 10, 2013.
The flyer should be sent directly to Ms. Lily Zou.
For your reference, if you select to send the document directly to Ms. Zou, please note, that AASCU cannot invoice you. Payment will be your responsibility based on the terms defined by Ms. Zou.
For more information, please contact Show Management Office:
Ms. Lily ZOU, Project Manager
Fairlink Exhibition Services Ltd.
Tel: 86-10 8580 0790 / 91 / 92
Fax: 86-10 8580 0786
Lily@fairlink.com.cn / firstname.lastname@example.org
You may carry your university materials with you as excess baggage on your flight. You will be charged a fee payable at check-in for the excess baggage.
You may use express mail, such as FEDEX or DHL, to send your university materials directly to you at:
China National Convention Center Grand Hotel
Building 1, No. 8 Precincts,
Beichen West Road, Chaoyang District,
Beijing 100105, P R China
Tel: +86 10 8437 2008
Fax: +86 10 8437 0387
In addition to bringing the tracking number with you in the event the baggage is held up in customs, remember to include the following information on the mailing label:
- Your name and university name
- c/o AASCU/CCIEE FORUM/EXPO DELEGATION
- Indicate package should be held for your date of arrival at the hotel
Please note, all FEDEX packages should be sent at least 10-15 days prior to your arrival to avoid customs problems.
Finally, whichever method you select to transfer your university materials to Beijing, kindly inform AASCU, Felicia Durham, at email@example.com